Job Title: Nurse in Charge (Jan 12)
Main Purpose: As a trained Nurse, responsible for leading the shift in support of the
Scope of Job: Responsible to the Care Manager
To take shift leader responsibility when required.
1. Discussing concerns with the Care Manager e.g. receiving information/instruction necessary to the smooth running of the shift/Home.
2. Direct and delegating duties when necessary to all Health Care Assistants (HCA) each day. With supervision, checking standards of work and overseeing/directing other members of staff accordingly.
3. Ensure that all Policy and Procedures relating to the Home and the care of its residents are fully implemented and complied with.
4. Ensure that the Department of Health (DoH) Code of Practice for the health and adult social care on Prevention and Control of Infections and related guidance are adhered to at all times.
5. Assisting any doctor/other professional on each visit to the Home. Discussing with them particular problems of residents.
6. Administering all medications and prescriptions.
7. Recording fully daily notes on each resident and taking lead responsibility for presenting and receiving shift handover report.
8. To ensure that appropriate individual care is given to each resident, in accordance with the Care Plans.
9. Compiling, recording and reviewing of designated residents care plans
10. To monitor residents’ conditions and report any changes to the Manager as necessary.
11. To help maintain a safe and healthy environment in the Home with due regard to appropriate Food Hygiene and Health & Safety Regulations. To report all accidents to the Manager.
12. To assist with End-of-Life Care for residents who are terminally ill.
13. Assisting with the administration of the home ensuring that it is efficient in terms of resident admission and discharge and ensuring that the Home is appropriately staffed.
14. Ensuring that, on the death of a resident, the correct procedures are followed in respect of Doctor/Relatives/Undertaker.
15. Conducting induction training and overseeing all carers orientation periods.
16. Attending general staff meetings and nurse care planning meetings as necessary.
17. Ensuring that relative’s/ visitors to the Home are appropriately facilitated and supported.
18. Ensure that, while on shift, the appropriate levels of hygiene, cleanliness and appearance are met throughout the home including appropriate presentation of all staff.
19. Attend all compulsory training and other training required to develop and maintain your professional competencies inline with your responsibilities under the NMC, Code of Conduct.
20. Ensure that residents are assisted to socialise as they wish.
21. Ensure that you and all subordinate employees adhere to the Terms and Conditions of Employment, Employee, Health & Safety Handbook contents and Job Descriptions while presenting at all times in a smart, tidy and professional manner.
22. Maintaining respect and safe control of resident’s personal belongings as requested by them.
23. Ensuring that the home maintains a healthy and safe environment.
24. Acting as named Nurse [mentor] for Care Assistants, student work placements and delegated residents.
25. Carry out regular supervision sessions and annual appraisal of delegated carers
26. To assist day staff in helping residents to prepare for bed as required.
27. To act upon instructions from the manager regarding specific tasks to be carried out during the night.
28. To carry out regular checks on residents throughout the night, according to set intervals and with due regard to residents’ individual wishes and appropriate Risk Assessments.
29. To answer promptly all nurse alarm calls, assessing each situation and dealing with any residents who are seeking help. In cases of emergency to call the emergency GP and / or summon an ambulance.
30. To assist residents who need help or reassurance during the night, providing light drinks or refreshments where required.
31. To carry out regular checks on the building, with particular reference to fire prevention and external security (all windows and external doors secured etc).
Any other duties commensurate with the role and responsibilities of a Nurse.