~~Ruskin Mill Trust Limited (the Trust)
Position: Day Time Support Worker
Post Reference No: GEN00082
Grade: 3 : 4 : 5
Responsible to: Student Support Manager
Service Area: Education and Therapy
Location: Ruskin Mill College, Glasshouse College, Freeman College
To support students to access the curriculum and to be aware of the welfare of the students during the day time provision.
The post holder will be expected to embrace, articulate and work with the Trust’s objectives, vision, values, purpose and method, ensuring that the Trust’s paradigm of biodynamic agriculture, Anthroposophical medicine and practical skills education, which is informed by Steiner Education, is maintained, implemented and integrated within the provision of the College.
The post holder is to contribute to the whole life of the College and Trust, always remembering that our core purpose is to improve the education and lives of the young people at the College.
You will be required to carry out your duties at all College premises, some of which are located a distance from the main College sites and at such other places as the Trust may reasonably require.
The post holder will be expected to travel on a regular basis between the Trust’s sites, and to and from other places as the Trust may reasonably require.
Evening and weekend working may be required.
The post holder will be expected to contribute as required and uphold the aims, objectives and commitments of Ruskin Mill Trust Limited.
1. To fulfil any transport requirements, including travelling on public transport.
2. To drive minibuses if required.
3. To help and support students to take part in their timetabled workshops /activities.
4. To undertake relevant training including, dispensing of medication to students, acting as a first aider, management of challenging behaviour,
5. To work with the increasingly complex students’ needs, which may involve supporting intimate personal care and challenging behaviour.
6. To work with students who may have complex medical issues, which may also include dispensing medicine and acting as a first aider.
7. To work flexibly in the college within the college campus and in residential settings to provide imaginative and creative, learning support for students who are on the RMOC access program.
8. To intervene in situations, where a student has been unable to settle in their session.
9. To provide additional support to either the tutor or the student, who is having difficulties, with the aim of enabling as many students as possible to participate appropriately in their timetabled sessions.
10. To assist in the accurate recording of student attendance, significant issues, incidents and accidents.
11. To report to the Student Support Manager on all issues relating to incidents or issues with students.
12. To be consistently mindful and proactive in monitoring the physical appearance of the College site which will include, when time allows, picking up litter, weeds, dirty windows, cleaning toilets as requested.
13. To comply with the Trust’s Manual Handling Policy and Practice.
1. To share the Trust’s commitment for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students.
2. To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students, children and vulnerable adults that you come into contact with.
3. To carry out the above duties in accordance with the Trust’s Health and Safety Policy.
4. To actively support and promote equality and diversity throughout the Trust.
5. To work co-operatively with other staff within the Trust.
6. To work with students as and when required.
7. To comply with all the policies and procedures of the Trust as contained in the booklet entitled “Ruskin Mill Trust Limited - Student Protection Policies”.
8. To maintain exemplary standards of professionalism, honesty and respect at all times, and not abuse the privilege of access to confidential information.
9. To be responsible for the care and development for your working area.
10. To attend meetings and supervision as required.
11. To undertake training and development as required by the Trust and the Crossfields Institute - Hiram Education and Research Department. To be committed to professional self-development, through participation in-service training as necessary for the successful carrying out the role.
12. To undertake work related continued professional development (CPD) as required by the post.
13. May, from time to time be required to work additional hours as shall be reasonably necessary to discharge properly your duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description.
14. To undertake any other duties appropriate to this level of post which will evolve as the job progresses until the job description is reviewed.
Staff Management and Supervision
The Day Time Support Worker has no direct staff responsibility.
To liaise with all staff employed by the Trust, professional bodies, external consultants, and any outside bodies as and when required.
This job description should be regarded as a guide to the duties required and is not definitive or restrictive in any way. The duties of the post may be varied from time to time in response to changing circumstances. This job description does not form part of the contract of employment.
Where the post holder is disabled or becomes disabled every effort will be made to supply all necessary aids, adaptations or equipment to allow them to carry out all the duties of the job. If, however, a certain task proves to be unachievable job redesign will be given full consideration.