Reports to: Care Manager / Supervisor
Summary of position
To support each customer to remain living in their own homes for as long as they require.
To provide each customer with a high quality of care, that is respectful, dignified and encourages independence whilst adhering to the customers care and support plan. Document and report all relevant customer care information.
Duties and responsibilities
· To assist customers with all aspects of their personal care, including;
o Showering and bathing;
o Dressing and grooming;
o Toileting and incontinence;
o Teeth and dentures.
· To assist customers with all aspects of medication, including;
o Communicating with the pharmacy and pick up;
· To assist customers with all aspects of their meal preparation, including;
o Cooking and re-heating;
o Preparing and serving of meals;
o Preparing and clearing the table;
o Safe storage and infection control;
o Communicating with the customer and disposing of unsafe food.
· To support customers in the use of aids and personal equipment, including;
o Standing and walking frames;
o Manual and electric hoists;
o Sliding sheets and moving boards;
o Hearing aids and other physical aids.
· To support customers with home management, including;
o Hovering and sweeping;
o Washing and storing the dishes;
o Washing clothes and hanging them up;
o Making beds and changing the lining;
o Dusting and general tidying;
o Answer the door and greet visitors;
o Answer emergency bells and the telephone.
· To help in the promotion of a customer’s mental and physical activities, such as;
o Communication and engagement;
o Going out;
o Reading, photo albums and writing;
o Hobbies and recreations.
· To document and report all relevant customer information, including;
o Changes to a customer’s care;
o Emergency management;
o Family involvement;
o External health teams.
· To support a customer through temporary and terminal illness, including;
o End of life care;
o Hospital appointments;
o Personal care in bed;
o Community health support.
· To work as part of the Bluebird Care team, which includes;
o Take part in staff and customer meetings;
o Training activities as directed;
o To read and write reports;
o To attend appraisal and development meetings;
o To communicate in various formats.
· To comply with the Bluebird Care business guidelines and policies at all times.
This list is not exhaustive and from time to time you may be asked to undertake additional duties.
- Caring and empathic nature
- Good organisational skills
- Flexible approach
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written
- Good reporting skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work on own initiative and within a team
- Willingness to undertake the companies policies and procedures
- Ability to act quickly in an emergency
- Clear understanding of good quality
- Clear police check relevant to country of residence
- Class 1 business insurance (when using own car)
- Knowledge of the care sector
- Previous experience as a care worker
- Medication administration qualification
- S/NVQ/QCF Level 2 or equivalent
- Knowledge of health and safety
- Flexible approach to working
- Full drivers licence – no more than 6 points